Monday 2 January 2012

Review: Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill

Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill
Rating: 5/5
Details: Hardcover, 376 pages
Published: February 13th 2007 by William Morrow
You can buy the book HERE.

Summary: Aging, self-absorbed rock star Judas Coyne has a thing for the macabre -- his collection includes sketches from infamous serial killer John Wayne Gacy, a trepanned skull from the 16th century, a used hangman's noose, Aleister Crowley's childhood chessboard, etc. -- so when his assistant tells him about a ghost for sale on an online auction site, he immediately puts in a bid and purchases it. The black, heart-shaped box that Coyne receives in the mail not only contains the suit of a dead man but also his vengeance-obsessed spirit. The ghost, it turns out, is the stepfather of a young groupie who committed suicide after the 54-year-old Coyne callously used her up and threw her away. Now, determined to kill Coyne and anyone who aids him, the merciless ghost of Craddock McDermott begins his assault on the rocker's sanity.

Credit: Goodreads

My Review: Oh wow! I love this book so much. I think Joe Hill may be one of my favourite authors now. I read Horns by him last year and loved it and had to have more. This book was actually even better than Horns. I am so glad I bought it instead of getting it from the library.

Heart-Shaped Box is an incredible story about Judas Coyne who likes to collect really interesting and macabre things (like me) and one day decides to buy a ghost. So cool.

I have grown up watching pretty much nothing but horror movies and reading a lot of horror novels so it takes a lot to scare me, and this book didn't do it. However, it was written so well, I got so attached to the characters and wrapped up in the story that I just didn't care that it wasn't scaring me. All I cared about was what was going to happen next and how it would end. I couldn't turn the pages fast enough.

I would definitely recommend this book to everyone and I will be re-reading it every chance I get.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...